Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Sweating in South India...

Hey. It is HOT here. We sweat a lot. I don't really even know where to start on an update. We have been all over the place. In Uthamapalyam, where we spent most of our time, we were both preaching and singing at 1-3 villages every single day for 20 days. We stood on top of a mountain, played with monkeys, went on a boat, ate A LOT of food, saw a lot of people pooping on the side of the road, we peed in the forest, learned some Tamil, took cold bucket showers (which we actually really enjoy), used Eastern style toilets (aka a hole in the ground), visited some tea plantations, saw more monkeys, met amazing people, laughed hysterically with our body guard (the host family's son), and then took a train 13 hours to Prathipadu where we will be spending our last two weeks. It is HOT here. We don't want to sugar coat anything though. We have been having a great time, but everyday have experienced the full range of possible emotions from "I LOVE INDIA!" to "I HATE INDIA. I am not going to make it out alive." haha. And we laugh with each other a lot... over everything... because what else can we do? Here are some "only-in-India-conversations" we have with each other:

Kory: I smell bad, I think I am going to put on bug spray

Katie: I can't tell if this is poop or dirt on my pants. Kory: Just smell it and see

Katie: I would change my clothes, but I am too dirty.

Kory: Please don't leave me here (After our host dad came in while she was sleeping and told me to leave her with them in Uthamapalayam.)

Kory and Katie: Don't leave those out. The monkeys will steal them.

Kory (to the host family): But really, what do you use to wipe? Yea, like your butt.



We have been living the fantasy of five year old girls under our pink princess mosquito net every night. And every day before we leave, we have to monkey proof our room. The family here is actually really worried about the monkeys taking our stuff, but we hope EVERY day when we come back that we will catch some sneaky little monkeys in our room. A cow yelled at us yesterday. And we get stared at... always... everywhere. We can't communicate with anyone except our host family, so all our cell phone issues have made us appreciate American cell phone companies for the first time ever.



Let's see... what else. We see a lot in the villages. We see things that surprise us, make us sad, inspire us. Kory held a baby (for the 2nd time ever!). haha. It has been a HARD trip... and really really good.

We probably should cut this one a bit short. There is plenty more to say, a a ton more stories to tell but thepower randomly goes out so we dont want to lose this post.

ENJOY!

oh yeah to put this in perspective....1 monthin India is like 5 months in America...so we are freakin EXHAUSTED!

1 comment:

  1. hahahha! your post made me augh so much! at one point i smelled angelas shoe to see if it had poop or dirt on it too. i miss you! cant wait to hear more stories. bring me back a monkey!!!

    love you girls.

    britt

    ReplyDelete